Tattoos with pictures of birds are preferred by a free and independent person. But a lot depends on the choice of the type of feathered creatures.
The most common images of birds and their meanings:
- Bird of paradise is chosen by those who seek beauty;
- Dove – peace, tenderness, and kindness;
- Eagle is associated with the rule, nobility and victory over enemies;
- Gull – associated with the sea and is a symbol of independence. In ancient times, for sailors seagulls were a symbol of returning home;
- Peacock – a symbol of wealth and beauty;
- Raven. In different cultures, crows mean very different things. For example, among the ancient Celts and many other pagans, this majestic bird is a symbol of wisdom and secret knowledge. Currently, such a picture is selected by fans of dark, alternative culture;
- Owl – a symbol of wisdom, associated with mysticism, dark and otherworldly force;
- Parrot was once considered as a symbol of narcissistic personalities, but now symbolizes beauty, originality, and self-confidence;
- Firebird is perfect for those who believe in miracles, it brings its owner a lot of luck.
- Swan means loyalty, love and inexhaustible tenderness,
- Swallow symbolizes and embodies: hope, youth, luck, morning, spring, sunrise, home comfort, happiness, and freedom.
Birds Tattoo in Ancient Cultures
Many people believe that their nearest ancestors were none other than birds. Therefore, birds were often symbols of entire tribes. Already at that time, figures of totem birds were depicted on the bodies of people. As they thought, such an image gave to its owner energy and assurance that luck did not turn away from him.
Eagle – the Greeks believed that the eagle was Zeus’ messenger. In China, this bird embodies perseverance, courage, and strength. An eagle sitting on a rock is identified with the image of a brave warrior. The Christian religion has given the eagle deep and pure power of the human spirit who believes in God. In American Legends, it was described as a creature that could emit lightning from its eyes, and its enormous wings could cause rain.
Falcon – in Christianity symbolizes evil because of its cruelty. In Japan, it is directly related to one of the imperial dynasties. In the myths, the falcon plays the role of the heavenly messenger and counselor.
Swallow, as a symbol of love, purity, kindness is often found in mythology. Swallows accompanied the goddess of love Aphrodite, who was famous for her fresh and natural beauty.
Birds Tattoo For Ladies and Men
Eagle sketches are very popular among men with a powerful character. The eagle represents power and authority. After all, this bird by its majesty and pride has fascinated people since ancient times.
Hummingbird – one of the smallest birds in the world. With its colorful plumage, it is the ideal choice for tattoos. Most often such sketches are preferred by ladies. Hummingbird tattoo represents freedom, intuition, and rebirth. Such tattoos are ideal for women who prefer a small image. Small tattoos for girls are particularly good in that they can be hidden under clothing.
On the female body, such sketches are often set at the base of the neck, in the area of the collarbone, shoulder blade, or loin.
Tattoos of a flock of birds are more popular among young people, especially girls, as its main value is – the desire for freedom and its objectives, in spite of all obstacles.
A tattoo on the hand is a very convenient location as it could be easily hidden. Many men prefer to put it on his shoulder, and ladies – in the area of the shoulder blade. It looks stylish and graceful as a sketch of a pen on the inside of a woman’s hand.
Commonly, men cover their hips, so there the tattoo could be larger and have more volume. Women usually wear the sketch of birds in flight on the bottom of the foot.
Adam Levine, Rihanna, Adele, and Cassadee Pope are fans of bird tattoos.